Monday, September 11, 2017

Film Review: IT by Roberta J. Downing

Drama / Horror- Rated R
Release date: September 8, 2017
Directed by: Andy Muchietti
Written by: Chase Palmer, Cary Fukunaga and Stephen King
Produced by: Richard Brener, Doug Davidson, Toby Emmerich, Marty P. Ewing and many more
Starring: Bill Skarsgard, Jaeden Lieberher and Finn Wolfhard
The Plot: A demon disguised as a clown returns on the 27th year and begins abducting children so a crew of kids comes together to rid the town of Pennywise.
For quite some time now I have had doubts about this movie simply because remakes are often never as good as the original movie and being a huge fan of Tim Curry, I really didn’t think anyone would be able to pull off the insidious Pennywise. I also do not like clowns- I kinda have a phobia concerning them. I was so wrong!
Bill Skarsgard who plays Pennywise added a whole new level of evil to the character and that was quite refreshing! In many ways, Skarsgard did a much better job in the role than, sad to say, my beloved Tim Curry. He certainly made the role his own and to be perfectly honest- he was much creepier than Mr. Curry. I can tell you that I have had nightmares of Pennywise (keep in mind my phobia of clowns) that makes my heart race and all I can hear is “We all float down here” over and over.
The details of not only the characters but the scenery were absolutely sublime! I can tell you now that the amount of attention given is really what make this movie not only scary but terrifying. All the characters were believable from the friendship and bond right down to the fear.
What I found quite interesting is that throughout the movie, there were several comical moments, which if you think about it, makes it just that more sinister.
The book written by Stephen King was very thick and the miniseries that aired in the 1990’s was very long. The remake of the movie was just part one. I really think that this was a good thing to do because after a while, people tend to get bored or desensitized to the horror or drama they have been pulled into, me included. All I have to say is that I am looking forward to seeing part two!
I would say that this movie is not for the faint of heart and especially if you have a phobia of clowns. I particularly loved hearing screaming in the theater! -Roberta J. Downing

1 comment: